Friday, November 15, 2013

Saving Money with Coupons; Don't Grunt!

During the past few months I have been clipping coupons and trying many prepared meals only to find out that my family won’t eat them.  Being as expensive as they are, some $10.00 or more for a dinner for two, my family appreciates my efforts each evening when I cook a meal from scratch.  A hard concept for many, yes, but not being one to buy bagged or boxed meals I had to see what the other side was like.
When our kids were growing up and I was working dinner would come from a box, Stove Top Stuffing, Hamburger Helper, and everyone’s favorite to this day, Kraft Mac and Cheese.  The first, the original, not the fancy new ones with sauce packets.
That was fine for the younger years but after figuring out that I can make  a much healthier and better tasting meal for 1/10th the cost of the packaged ones and guess what?  NO Preservatives in mine and no ingredients you  can’t even pronounce.  I know you’re all saying that there isn’t time, but there is.  MAKE IT.  Enlist help from the family, precook parts of the meal and it will take you 20 minutes or less to put a wonderful meal on the table that you can’t get out of any box.  GO FOR IT!
Don’t get me wrong.  I like short cuts but when I can make pasta in less than 10 minutes and have a stroganoff on the table by using a little cornstarch and bouillon and other spices from the cabinet,  my family now wouldn’t let me get away with anything less. So do it from scratch, not from a box.
Tonight is pizza night at my house.  It was either that or a frozen, prepackaged P.J. Chang’s that I got on sale and had coupons for.  We’re going to give it a try when I don’t have time to cook, but for tonight it is homemade.
Hope your dinner tonight is memorable for all the right reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment