Sunday, November 17, 2013

Travel treat-My Great Coconut Granola-Great for gift giving too

This morning I need to make my traveling buddy, my homemade Coconut Granola.  I also need to get some off to my friend Kathy for her birthday next week.  I promised her a stash of it.   It also makes a great Christmas gift for close friends.

If you've even been stuck on a plane, had a flight delayed or stuck in New York City Traffic at 5:10 p.m. trying to get out of the City this can be a life saver.  It's a handy treat, no refrigeration required.  It has lots of fiber and will keep you full for the duration.

Granola is personal.  It's a matter of taste.  You should only use ingredients you adore.  If you don't like raisins like I do you might want to put in dried apricots or apples, but make it something worth eating, something you truly enjoy.   When I eat it I only put 2 Tablespoons on my morning yogurt, but I make sure it's two Tablespoons of sheer pleasure.  I don't sit down and eat a bowl full with milk, but I could.  I would eat 1/4 cup with milk but that's my limit.  Remember I just lost 83 pounds so I have my Weight Watcher Tracker to be accountable to as well as myself.


                                                            Ingredients I used

I use Frudtkt 45% from Ikea.  This is a Muesli with banana, papaya and coconut.  I have a wheat allergy and this does have wheat flakes but it doesn't seem to bother me.  This is a great base mix and you just add all your favorites.  If you don't live close to an Ikea, we don't,  you can  use regular oats but would have to add all the fruit yourself.  This is definitely a money save; everything is already mixed for you. 



                         Frudtkt 45% from Ikea


You've got your base and now let the creativity begin.  You are only limited by your imagination.  I like Craisins in mine.  I rinse them prior to putting in the granola mix and dry them to remove the preservatives on them.  I like a mix of great nuts so used Simply Almonds, Cashews & Cranberries Trek Mix from Trader Joes.  You can use any mix of nuts you like.  This is convenient and my family likes almonds even though I think they are too big for granola, but I accommodate them and just pick around them.  I also use Jumbo Raisin Medley from Trader Joes and rinse them as well.  I like the high quality ingredients from Trader Joes and the great prices, but if you don't have one near you use whatever your local grocer carries.    I also can't make it without 100% organic Coconut Flakes from Whole Foods.  This is the best and largest whole flake, unsweetened coconut I have found to date.

 Put all this in a large bowl and add about 8 ounces of raw honey, not the processed stuff unless that's all you can find.  Raw honey has so many valuable health ingredients that haven't been processed out with pasteurizing but read the warning on the bottle not to give to children under the age of 1.  Mix all in a bowl and spread on a baking sheet.  Mix in 1/2 cup brown sugar and mix thoroughly.

Spread it on a baking sheet.  You can use a Silpat, a baking pad that makes cleanup a snap.  If you don't have one just spray your baking sheet with a cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 24 minutes stirring every 10 minutes and a final stir when you take it out to cool.  If you want hard, hard granola you can bake it longer but I like a little crunch and not stone hard. 

Great for holiday giving too.  I try to find great packages for this simple treat

I keep a pouch of it in my purse when traveling and it's a great sweet treat with fiber.  If you've got an ice cream stand close by buy a cup of ice cream and sprinkle this sweet treat on top.  You can't buy that anywhere!

Kathy watch for your birthday package, It'll be in the mail in the morning.  Happy Birthday!
I would love to hear from you as granola is a wonderful traveling companion and I'm always open for new recipes.  A great adventure in cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment