Sunday, January 19, 2014

National popcorn day today! OH YEAH! A fantastic recipe too

One of my favorite food groups, POPCORN!  Imagine the possibilities.  Jalapeño, cupcake, snickerdoodles,  you are only limited by your imagination. My favorite still is Carmel corn.  Yep, plain ole carmelcorn. 

Whenever were traveling and I see it I have to grab a bag. It's a great travel snack as it doesn't need To be refrigerated and it keeps for a week or more. Through all our travels I have to say the WORLDS best carmelcorn come from nuts on Clark. We found it the first time during a layover at Chicago O'hare. It's located in terminal 1 & 3. This is a must have trigger food for me. You can also order your fix online at nutsonclark.com.  They have many different flavored packed and ready to grab and go. The first time I purchased it I got the small snack bag. Well it was gone before our flight landed in San Francisco and I had no way to get a refill. The sad thing was we weren't flying through O'hare on the way home so it was another five months before we could have our daughter bring more and info on where to order by mail. 

Enjoy National popcorn day. 

For those that don't live in Chicago here's a great carmelcorn recipe that I got from a microwave demo dated December 19, 1981. It is wonderful and its all made in the microwave so great for   and college students too. 

Microwave Carmel popcorn recipe
(Ye Olde Van Buskirk Recipe)

I was at the base exchange and the lady was just finishing up her demo and have me the recipe. It's made it's way into my cookbook, Eating our way duty station to duty station. 

Ingredients
5 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons corn syrup (light)
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoons vanilla
1/8 teaspoon baking soda 
1 batch popped corn ( I use one bag of microwave popcorn without butter- plain)
Mixed nuts or peanuts are optional but a must for me. Add as many as you want 

Directions
1.  Make batch of popcorn
2.  In a large mixing bowl combine butter, salt, brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla
3.  Cook at full power in microwave for 2-
      3 minutes. Mixture should be bubbly hot. Add baking soda. The mixture will foam and a lighter color. 
4.  Mix in popcorn and stir well. ( I have to add mixed nuts or just some jumbo peanuts as I love the cracker jack addition).  Pour out onto aluminum foil or silpat and cool. Break into pieces. 


No comments:

Post a Comment